Katherine Hepburn’s Brownies
(Originally published in a 1975 Ladies’ Home Journal article)
Makes 16 (I doubled the recipe!)
1 stick butter, plus more for buttering the pan
2 ounces of unsweetened chocolate – (I used a Ghirardelli Baking Bar – 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate)
1 cup (192 g) sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla
¼ cup (30 g) flour
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 325˚.
2. Butter an 8-inch square baking pan.
3. Melt the chocolate and the butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat.
4. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the sugar.
5. Add the eggs and vanilla. Mix well.
6. Stir in the flour and salt (and walnuts if you’re using them) and mix well.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 40 – 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
8. Let it cool. Cut into squares.